Greg Jarboe, president and co-founder of SEO-PR and the author of YouTube and Video Marketing: An Hour a Day, sends along these tips for how to successfully optimize and promote your video on YouTube. (Greg will be speaking at SES Toronto 2010, on a panel entitled, "Video: The Next Marketing Frontier." )
According to comScore, 132.4 million unique viewers watched 11.9 billion videos on YouTube.com -- 89.5 videos per viewer -- ranking it as the top video property with 42.3 percent of all videos viewed online that month. Hulu ranked second with 912.5 million videos, or 3.2 percent of all online videos viewed.
Marketers are scrambling to understand how to seize this new opportunity. So, what do marketers need to do? They need to learn (1) how to optimize videos for YouTube so they get discovered, (2) how to create videos for YouTube that get watched, and (3) how to promote videos on YouTube so they get shared.
Below are four tips on how to optimize video for YouTube.
1) Since 24 hours of new video is uploaded to YouTube every minute, it is challenging to get your YouTube video found. To improve your odds, you need to do keyword research using YouTube's auto discovery feature or keyword suggestion tool. Once you have identified the appropriate keywords that people are searching for, then you need to make sure those keywords are in your video's title, description, and tags.
2) Create original, relevant, and compelling content to reach your targeted audience! Some techniques for doing this include producing "how-to" videos and videos that incorporate humor to tell the story.
3) Sharing your video. This includes emailing your friends and associates about your video, embedding it in a blog (by including a snippet of text that is included when you finish uploading your video), tweeting about your video, and/or uploading it to Facebook. It's the sharing capability of your video that can cause it to go viral.
4) Review this YouTube video marketing case study with Dinomighty. Dinomighty's founder, Terrence Kelleman discusses how video allows you to tell a more in-depth story about your product.
More on Using YouTube to Market Your Small Business
- Cool Tool of the Week: YouTube 101 Video
- 6 YouTube Best Practices
- YouTube Rocks for Advertising Your Business: Any Questions?