1. Money
Susan Ward

Small Scale Business Ideas

By July 13, 2013

Okay. You want to start a small business but you don't want to have to take out a loan or mortgage your house. And you don't want to spend months or years going to school before you can get your new small business up and running.

Here are some small scale business ideas that (just about anybody) could do:

Senior care is one small scale business idea.

1) Senior Renovations
Home renovations have long been a booming business opportunity to the extent that anyone who can pick up a hammer has tried to muscle their way into the market.

How do you distinguish yourself from all the renovation wannabes? Focus on a niche market.

Seniors needing renovations to make their lives easier and stay in their own homes longer is a niche waiting to be colonized. Ramps and specialized bath fittings are just the beginning.
Learn How to Find and Master a Niche Market.)

2) Pet Sitting Business Idea
Pet sitting make the top of my pet business ideas list because:

• a) there's an almost universal need for it and
  • b) it's a very flexible business.

For instance, if you live in a suitable place out of town, you can run a pet sitting business as a kennel operation with people bringing their pets to you and dropping them off.

But that doesn't have to be the case; you can also operate a pet sitting business where you go to people's homes and look after their pets' needs. Or, you can combine a pet sitting business with a house sitting business and look after people's homes as well when they're away.
See 18 Pet Business Ideas for more if working with animals interests you.

3) Downsizing/Placement Assistance
The bulging senior demographic means that a whole lot more people are downsizing and moving, some by their own choice and others because they need medical and care services they can't get at home.

As a Downsizing Assistant you would have two potential markets; the people moving and/or going into care and people with aging parents looking for help finding appropriate accommodation and care services for them. Your services could range from finding suitable placements for people through physically helping people pack up and move.
More ideas for working with seniors: The Best Business Opportunities of 2013.

4) eBay selling.
eBay's popularity continues to explode. I personally know very few people who haven't bought or sold something on eBay.

But did you know that eBay is also a solid business idea? If you have a product that there's a demand for and that is suitable for being sold online and shipped to the purchaser, eBay may be the way to go.

It can be a more inexpensive option than setting up your own online store and eBay offers all kinds of information to help you sell successfully - including eBay seminars.
For more information on selling on eBay successfully, see 7 Tips for Selling on eBay.

Explore More Business Ideas

Photo (c) Pedro Simões

I've been nominated as a Small Business Influencer! I'd love it if you would vote for me daily, now through September 9th, 2013. And please share and invite others to do the same -- via Facebook, Twitter, email, blogs, word of mouth, and anything else you can think of. Thank you, everybody! :)

Connect With Susan:
Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | Free Newsletters
Comments
April 18, 2012 at 2:13 am
(1) BUKEN. LEO. KAIJEGA. says:

Am security Techincian i have 40$ and i want to start techinical service bussiness please guide how this money thanks

April 19, 2012 at 8:37 pm
(2) Susan Ward says:

Sorry, Leo, I can’t tell you the answer to this question, as it depends on the specifics of your situation. You need to work through a business plan to find out how this might best be accomplished.

July 13, 2012 at 10:58 am
(3) Karen says:

Hi Sue
Just so you know, most people I know are not choosing to sell on e-Bay these days. Craig’s List is not popular any more due too many security and payment issues. Kijiji is the main one now. We’ve bought and sold a ton of things on it, much like Craig’s List a few years ago. There are some great deals to be had, Of course elance.com and other sites allow hiring or marketing yourself for online work. I had my logo done very cheaply by a company in Argentina via elance.
Karen

July 13, 2012 at 1:18 pm
(4) Susan Ward says:

Thanks, Karen!

September 20, 2012 at 1:55 pm
(5) DEEJHAY says:

HI SUSAN,

Im a little bit confused as to how am i going to make use of my income. I really find it hard to manage the financial flow and sometimes i end up spending everything. I was thinking of doing a small scale business but i just don’t know what to go for. Do you have any suggestions ?

September 20, 2012 at 2:18 pm
(6) Susan Ward says:

Hello Deejahy,

I have a huge collection of lists of business ideas you can browse but I recommend you start by reading 7 Sources of Business Ideas. It will whos you how to “see” the business ideas that others miss.

November 7, 2012 at 1:34 pm
(7) srikanta says:

Please mail me some best bussiness ideas for doing bussiness in india

From
SRIKANTA SAMANTA

your Fan
——————————————————-

# LOVE to READ-write-COLL ECT and SHArE

e-m@il id – srikantalive@live.com

http://www.srikantasamanta .blogspot.com

HAVE A GREATDAY :-)

====================

November 7, 2012 at 5:32 pm
(8) Susan Ward says:

I can’t help you with that one but thanks for being a fan. All the best, Susan

December 22, 2012 at 6:20 am
(9) harshal says:

hi susan,
i want to know that which things to be concider before starting bussiness

December 24, 2012 at 2:43 pm
(10) Susan Ward says:

Hi Harshal, There are many articles on that topic on the site. Click on the Startup tab at the top of the page to find many of them – or just enter what you’re looking for into the search box.

February 27, 2013 at 10:24 pm
(11) louis vuitton says:

Do you mind if I quote a couple of your articles as long as I
provide credit and sources back to your
site? My blog site is in the very same niche as yours
and my visitors would definitely benefit from some of the information
you present here. Please let me know if this okay with you.
Appreciate it!

February 27, 2013 at 11:51 pm
(12) Susan Ward says:

No, please don’t. I make my money by people visiting my pages, so I don’t want my work published anywhere else on the ‘Net. And of course, everything here is copyrighted (and licensed to About.com). Mentioning an article and linking to it are always appreciated though. :-)