One of the most common pieces of advice to people thinking of starting a small business is to do what they love.
I've even given this advice myself. (Have a look at Top 10 Tips for Starting a Small Business That Will Succeed, for instance.)
But years of advising people who want to start their own businesses and watching them go through the start up process has taught me that I was wrong.
Here's why doing what you love is a bad idea if you're starting a small business - and what you should do instead.
Learn More About Starting a Small Business
- Thinking of Starting a Small Business?
- 12 Things You Need to Know About Starting a Business in Canada
- 6 Traits You Need to Be Self-Employed
- What Type of Business Should You Start?
- The Two Paths to Starting a Business
- Top 10 Tips for Starting a Business That Will Succeed
- How to Start a Home-Based Business
- 5 Resources You Need to Succeed
- 8 Things Every Startup Needs to Know
- The Steps to Starting a Business in Canada
- How to Put Off Your Excuses and Start Your Own Business
Image (c) Fototeca Storica Nazionale / Getty Images