If youre feeling somewhat discouraged about your business and dont feel that youre getting anywhere, now is a great time of the year to take stock and review your accomplishments.
Operating your own business can be a roller coaster ride. There are the highs of a really good day and the lowest of lows during quiet times, or a great client prospect falls through. Often when youre feeling down on yourself its really not warranted. Try these morale booster tips to make yourself feel better:
1. Monthly, or even weekly if you have time, record your progress for that time period. At the end of the year, youll be able to look back and see how much you really have accomplished. Jot down the following:
- all the contacts youve made in person;
- all the one-on-one email contacts youve made;
- any networking events, lunches, meetings youve attended;
- press releases published or any free publicity youve received;
- any classes youve taken to further your business;
- any recognition, award or nomination youve received;
- new clients youve signed on;
- volunteer projects youve taken on;
- potential clients whove shown an interest in you;
- creation of your web site, business cards and other marketing materials.
2. Join a Success Team. These weekly group meetings with other entrepreneurs are great for sharing ideas and the agenda often requires participants to report what theyve done the past week and set a new goal for the following week. This is great incentive to do what you said you would.
3. Ask a client for feedback on the work youve done for them.
4. Keep an e-mail folder where you keep any positive feedback youve received for something youve done. Go back and read it when youve feeling down.
5. Call up a friend, networking buddy or another entrepreneur and go for coffee. Getting out of the office and sharing similar concerns with a like-minded person is a great morale booster.
Tana Woodward is the recipient of the 2003 Northern British Columbia Business and Industry "E-Business" Award. Tana Woodward and Associates operate Virtual Office Services. Call 1-866-970-0015 or visit www.virtualofficeservices.ca