(This speech exercise is part of the Speak For Success Course. While you can use this exercise to work on your speech skills at any time, its designed to work on a particular speech skill that you can find out more about at Speak for Success Speech Lesson 2.)
You will need a partner for this exercise. As the listener, your partners role is to listen for the particular speech problem being worked on and record all instances of the speech problem.
As the speaker, your role is to speak impromptu on one of the following speech topics for two minutes.
Do NOT spend time thinking about the topic before you speak.
- Your favourite hobby and why its your favourite.
- What you would do if you won five million dollars on the lottery?
- If you had unlimited resources, what would you do to improve your business?
- What do you like best about what you do? Why?
- Which of the five senses is most important? Why?
- What skill or talent would you most like to have? Why?
- Why is the current federal government doing such a bad job?
- What should your town do to create a better climate for business?
- What are the best places to eat in your town or city? Why?
- What are the best things to do to relax? Why?
- Whats the worst fault a person can have? Why?
- If you could be young again, would you? Why?
- What are the four things you least like to do? Why?
- Who do you most admire? Why?
- If you could visit any place in the world, where would you go? Why?
- What are your three best personality traits? Why?
- What do you like most about living where you live? Why?
- What was the worst job you ever had? Why?
- What was the best workshop or conference youve ever attended? Why?
Increase the difficulty of this speech exercise by speaking impromptu on one of the topics above for three minutes - or even five minutes, if you dare.