Small Business Start Up
By Susan Ward
- Are You Ready to Start a Business?
- Starting a Business Advice
- Business Ideas
- Buying a Business
- Business Plans
- How to Start a Business in Canada
- Finding Business Start Up Money
- Starting a Home-Based Business
- Starting an Online Business
- Starting an Import / Export Business
Are You Ready to Start a Business?
What's it like to run your own business instead of working for someone else? What personality traits do successful entrepreneurs share? How can you successfully make the transition from being an employee to being self-employed? Find out here if starting a small business is right for you.
- The Advantages of Owning Your Own Business
- What Are the Most Important Characteristics of an Entrepreneur?
- More on Being an Entrepreneur
- Before You Start Your Own Business
- Are You Ready to Start a Business Quiz
- Don't Let Fear of Failure Stop You Starting a Business
- Why Are You Putting Off Starting Your Own Business?
- 6 Traits You Need to Move From Employee to Self-Employed
- Financial Strategies for Transitioning from Salaried to Solo
- Top 7 Myths About Starting a Small Business
- Statistics on Being a Canadian Small Business Owner
- Statistics on Canadian Women in Business
Starting a Business Advice
What kind of business should you start? What resources do you need? What are common start up mistakes and how can you avoid them? Increase the chances of having a successful start up and a thriving small business with these articles offering advice.
- What Type of Business Should You Start?
- 8 Things Every Startup Needs to Know
- Top 10 Tips for Starting a Business That Will Succeed
- Before You Start a Small Business
- 5 Resources You Need to Succeed
- The Two Paths to Starting a Business
- Why Do Small Businesses Fail?
- The Two Main Problems of Starting a Small Business
- Don't Do What You Love When Starting Your Own Business
- 5 Excuses for Not Starting Your Own Business and How to Get Over Them
- Top 10 Business Startup Mistakes
- Reader Advice: The Most Common Start Up Mistakes
- Before You Start a Home-Based Business
- How to Start a Home-Based Business That Will Succeed
- Start Your Own Business of a Specific Type
- Got a Job? Start a New Business!
- Where Can I Find Wholesalers?
- How to Find Suppliers - Dos and Don'ts
- Reader Stories: How I Got Into Starting a Small Business
- What One Piece of Advice Would You Give Anyone Starting a Business?
Browse these collections of business ideas and see what sparks your interest and fits your circumstances. Or learn to invent business ideas of your own.
- How to Find Business Ideas
- 7 Sources of Business Ideas
- The Best Business Opportunities 2014
- Top Home Business Opportunities
- 7 Inexpensive Business Ideas
- 12 Wacky Business Ideas
- Best Business Ideas for Tough Times
- Best Green Business Ideas
- 10 Ways You Can Profit From Baby Boomers
- 18 Pet Business Ideas
- 10 Best Small Business Ideas for Students
- 6 Fall Small Business Ideas for Making Quick Bucks
- Home-Based Business Ideas Gallery
- Small Scale Business Ideas
- Senior Care Franchise Business Opportunities
- Halloween - A Sweet Business Opportunity
Buying a Business
Buying a business can be more advantageous than creating a business from scratch. See if buying a business is the right choice for you and learn about the purchase procedure with these articles.
- Is It Best to Buy a Business or Start From Scratch?
- How to Buy a Business
- Buying a Business Tips
- 3 Business Valuation Methods
Writing a business plan should be one of the first things you do once you decide to start a business. This information on how to create a business plan, including how to organize and write a business plan, and sample business plan templates that you can use, will make preparing your business plan easier.
- Why You Need to Write a Business Plan
- What Is a Business Plan?
- What Type of Business Plan Do You Need?
- How to Write a Business Plan
- The Quick-Start Business Plan
- The Investor Ready Business Plan
- 3 Methods of Sales Forecasting for Cash Projections
- The Un-Business Plan
- Executive Summary Example
- Business Plan Example of the Industry Overview
- More Example Business Plans
- Top Business Plan Software
- Before you Buy Business Plan Software
How to Start a Business in Canada
Sole proprietorship, partnership or incorporation? What's the business registration process? How can you pick the right name for your new business? And does your business need to register for GST/HST or PST? This section deals with the legalities of starting a business, from choosing a legal structure through the different business registrations your new business will need.
- Steps to Starting a Business in Canada
- Starting a Business FAQs
- 12 Facts About Starting a Business in Canada
- Choosing a Business Name
- Choosing a Form of Business Ownership
- 10 Questions Partnership Agreements Need to Answer
- Do You Need to Register Your Business?
- Business Registration by Province & Territory
- The Business Number
- Should You Incorporate Your Small Business?
- 7 Reasons to Incorporate Your Business
- How to Incorporate Your Business in Canada
- Types of Corporations in Canada & Corporate Tax
- More on Business Incorporation
- GST/HST Registration
- Common Questions About the GST/HST
- Provincial Sales Tax (PST) Registration
- The Hiring Process: How to Hire Employees in Canada
- Guide to Canadian Payroll Deductions
- What Nonresidents Need to Know About Starting a Business in Canada
- How Non-Canadians Can Open Businesses in Canada
Finding Business Start Up Money
No matter what kind of business you start, it's going to cost money to get it started and keep it operating until it starts making money. This section is all about finding the business start up money you need to get your new business up and running - from Canadian small business loans and grants through how to attract angel investors.
- 10 Things You Need to Know About Small Business Funding
- How to Find Start Up Small Business Financing
- 8 Sources of Business Start Up Money
- Start Up Money: Business Plan Contests
- Financial Strategies for Going from Salaried to Solo
- 7 Canada Government Grants Your Small Business May Qualify For
- More on Small Business Grants in Canada
- How to Get a Small Business Loan
- Canadian Small Business Loan Sources
- The Canada Small Business Financing Program
- The Self-Employment Program: One of the Best Small Business Grants in Canada
- Small Business Loans Just for Women
- Where to Get a Small Business Loan When the Banks Turn You Down
- Attracting Angel Investors
Starting a Home-Based Business
From a legal and structural point of view, starting a home-based business is just like starting any other small business. But from an operational point of view, starting a home-based business is different. Figuring out whether a home-based business is the right choice for you, working at home and home-based business tax issues are just some of the topics specific to starting a home-based business dealt with here.
- Before You Start a Home-Based Business
- How to Start a Home-Based Business
- Top 10 Home-Based Business Ideas
- Home-Based Business Ideas Gallery
- The Basics of Setting Up a Home Office
- Avoiding Work at Home Scams
- Office Design
- Working at Home
- Home-Based Business Taxes
- Insurance Your Home-Based Business Needs
Starting an Online Business
What's the procedure for registering a domain name? How do you get your web pages high rankings in search engines? How do you build an ecommerce site? What taxes do you have to collect if you're selling online? Here's where to find answers to your starting an online business questions.
- 7 Online Business Models
- How to Register a Domain Name
- How to Build a Website That Works
- Internet Merchant Accounts & How to Get Them
- 8 Rules for a Successful Ecommerce Website
- Canadian Ecommerce Solutions
- Online Payment Options for Your Online Business
- Search Engine Optimization Step-by-Step
- Charging Provincial Sales Tax on Online Sales
- Getting Started Selling on eBay
- 7 Ways to Make Money from a Blog
- The 5 Best Ways to Get Free Website Promotion
- Marketing Online Strategies Any Business Can Use
- Reader Responses: What's Your Advice for Starting an Online Business?
Starting an Import / Export Business
Learn how to set up an import or export business in Canada, the rules for importing or exporting goods, about the import / export documents you need and even how to prepare an international marketing plan with these import / export resources.
- Starting an Import Business in Canada
- More Importing Canada Information
- 10 Steps to Successful Exporting